01 February 2013

Playlist for 2013 - Part 1


It seems that entertainment programs (such as Spotify, the last time I looked) and hardware (MP3 players) all include the facility to create playlists of your favourite music. Usually, I can’t be bothered; I just take pot luck at whatever turns up next. However, what if I had to form a favourites list … what would I include? So I’ve decided to create my own playlist for 2013, choosing one track per day, everyday. That means, by the end of the year I will have picked 365 songs. I am posting these daily on my Facebook page with links to YouTube videos. The tracks are in no particular order – just as the fancy takes me.

I decided to follow a few simple rules:

[a] All must be music I can listen to over and over again without becoming bored with it. In other words, all would be five-star tracks.

[b] I may pick only one track per band or performer. This ‘rule’ will be relatively easy to obey for the first few months. But if it becomes more difficult to select five-star songs I may relent and re-use favourite performers.

Anyway, for the record, here are the first 31 tracks, selected during January.


1          Fleetwood Mac – Oh Well
2          Black Sabbath – Paranoid
3          Capt Beefheart – Autumn's Child
4          Jethro Tull – A Song for Jeffrey
5          Inspiral Carpets – Beast Inside
6          Melanie – Leftover Wine
7          Animals – When I was Young
8          Finbar & Eddie Furey – Her Father Didn't Like Me, Anyway
9          Jefferson Airplane – Lather
10        Nirvana – Rainbow Chaser
11        Jake Bugg – Lightning Bolt
12        Velvet Underground – Venus in Furs
13        Lightning Hopkins – You're Gonna Miss Me...
14        Only Ones – Another Girl, Another Planet



15        Ronnie Lane – How Come
16        Psychedelic Furs – Flowers
17        Ed Banger – Kinnel Tommy
18        Snow Patrol – Run
19        Tom Lewis – Fairwinds
20        Gallon Drunk – In the Long Still Night
21        Wedding Present – Brassneck
22        Cerys Matthews – Oxygen
23        Manfred Mann – I Got My Mojo Working
24        Canned Heat – On the Road Again
25        Grant Lee Buffalo – Teardrop and Jupiter
26        Siouxsie & The Banshees – Helter Skelter
27        Ike & Tina Turner – River Deep, Mountain High
28        Sparklehorse – Beautiful Widow
29        Kristin Hersh – Listerine
30        Joe Cocker and the Grease Band – With a Little Help From my Friends
31        Richard & Linda Thompson – Shoot out the Lights


No comments:

Post a Comment