18 February 2012

Dark Horizons 50

After being away from BFS activities for some years, I was asked to once again edit Dark Horizon. So in spring 2007 issue 50 appeared, edited by Jan Edwards and yours truly. Of course, this being issue 50 we had to celebrate and so asked three past editors to help mark the moment: David Sutton, Debbie Bennett and Mike Chinn.

I note from the editorial that DH50 was a few months late, and this was blamed on my daughter’s broken ankle – she snapped the bones on the first day of a short “break” in Amsterdam. Jan and I had to drive up to Liverpool to collect her from the airport. It was a night of bad – seriously bad – storms. It took us three or four hours to drive 50 miles up the M6!

And to complete the circle: as I type this blog post I am recovering from a broken ankle. Like my daughter, I have a plate holding bones together. But I broke my bones in the less romantic city of Stoke-on-Trent.

Dark Horizons 50 included:

The Bookshop – Murray Ewing
The Roots of the Artist: Anne Sudworth – Jan Edwards *
Death’s Angel’s Shadow – Karl Edward Wagner (v)
In Lonely Places: The Essential Horror Fiction of Karl Edward Wagner – John Howard *
Midnight Sun – Kark Edward Wagner (v)
All Beauty Must Die – Mike Chinn
My Heart Laid Bare: The Work and Art of Joyce Carol Oates – Robert Parkinson *
Apoca ca lypse – Joy ce Car ol O a te s
Fantasycon GoH Speech – Juliet McKenna *
The Ice Game – Sue Anderson
Where the Dead Go – Ian Hunter (v)
Black Angel: John Connolly Interview – Marie O’Regan *
The Woman with the Hair – Ian Hunter
The Phoenix of Fantasy – David Lee Stone *
Murdoch Celeste – Allen Ashley

(v) = verse, * = non-fiction

The colour cover painting was by Anne Sudworth. Internal artwork was by Bob Covington, Stephen Jones and Peter Coleborn.

That year’s FantasyCon was held in Nottingham, over the weekend 21-23 September. The Guests of Honour were Terry Brooks, Michael Marshall Smith and Stephen Jones. Peter Crowther was the Master of Ceremonies. The FantasyCon 2007 Programme Book was edited by … Peter Coleborn (I’ll post details later).

No comments:

Post a Comment